This message contains reminders and clarification about what students need in band class and at home. If you know that your student has all their band materials, please disregard this email.
For all band students, Tappan will provide: Band book, instrument storage cubby, music storage slot, PPE
All band families need to provide the following (except in cases of financial need): Instrument, supplies for instrument (reeds, valve oil, etc.)
Woodwind and Brass reminders
Instruments need to go home regularly so that students are able to practice
- The following instruments go back and forth from home/school and are allowed on the bus: Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone
- The following sections may request a second instrument for home as they are not allowed on the bus: Euphonium, Bassoon, Bass Clarinet, Tuba, French horn
- All instrument cases should be clearly labeled with student’s first and last name
- Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Saxophone, Oboe, and Bassoon players need reeds in their case at all times**
- Trumpet, Euphonium, Tuba, and French horn players need valve oil and slide grease in their case at all times**
- Trombone players need slide grease and slide spray in their case at all times**
**In cases of financial need, Tappan will provide these supplies.
Sticks/mallets need to go home regularly so that students are able to practice
- At school: Stick bag with drumsticks, hard mallets, and yarn mallets (this travels back/forth from home to school). Stick bags and sticks/mallets should be clearly labeled with student’s name
- At home: Bell kit/practice pad for practicing. Called “Percussion Kit” by most music stores
- Please click here for recommended brands/more percussion information
- Percussion kits never need to come to school, they are for at home practice only
If you still need to rent/purchase an instrument, percussion kit, or other supplies for your student, the following vendors deliver to Tappan:
If you have any questions or need further clarification on any of the above points, please let us know. If you have a financial need and are unable to provide any of the above materials, please contact Ms. Stout for supplies from Tappan.
We’ll see you on Curriculum Night!